DEPARTMENT OF LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY
DIVISION OF STATE POLICE
EMERGENCY MANAGMENT SECTION
POST OFFICE BOX 7086
WEST TRENTON NEW JERSEY 08628
DIRECTIVE NO. 33
SUBJECT: Procedures in Requesting Aid as a Result of Fires
As used in this directive, the word "fire" shall be taken to mean an actual fire, or situations leaving the municipality vulnerable to fire.
- The Municipal Fire Chief needing additional assistance at a fire scene shall first call upon members of his local mutual aid plan.
- Should further fire fighting aid be necessary, the Municipal Fire Chief will request the County Fire Coordinator to place the County Fire Mutual Aid Plan into effect. The Municipal Emergency Management Coordinator will be notified to alert his staff should additional emergency resources other than fire be needed.
- Upon activation of a County Fire Mutual Aid Plan, the County Fire Coordinator shall advise the State or Regional Fire Coordinator and provide periodic situation updates until termination of the emergency.
- The Municipal Emergency Management Coordinator shall notify the County Emergency Management Coordinator of the situation in the event local resources are insufficient to meet emergency needs.
- The decision to declare a Local Fire Disaster Emergency remains with the local Fire Chief and shall be based on an evaluation utilizing the best information available from agencies involved.
- At the point a Local Fire Disaster Emergency is declared, the Municipal Emergency Management Coordinator shall activate the municipal Emergency Operations Plan and coordinate interaction by those providing emergency response and/or resources.
- The Municipal Emergency Management Coordinator shall update the County Emergency Management Coordinator on the situation periodically throughout the emergency. The County Emergency Management Coordinator shall alert the State Office of Emergency Management by phoning the New Jersey State Police, West Trenton, New Jersey (609) 882-2000.
- The County Emergency Management Coordinator shall provide additional resources as necessary and available.
- State Office of Emergency Management assistance will be requested through the County Office of Emergency Management.
- Each fire company (either paid or volunteer) must participate in the County Fire Mutual Aid Plan and must submit to their County Fire Coordinator the following:
- A compiled inventory of personnel and equipment
- A local Fire Mutual Aid Plan (chart form or narrative)
- A listing of fire companies and departments involved in the Plan.
- By law (P.L. 1937, Chapter 9, Title 13) the State Forest Fire Service has the responsibility of directing major forest fire efforts throughout the State, and may request municipal assistance as needed. When buildings are involved, the responsibility shall rest with the Local Fire Chief as outlined in this Directive.
Directive No. 33 dated January 12, 1981 is hereby revised.
Clinton L. Pagano
Office of Emergency Management
Return to Public Directives List